Monday, July 26, 2010

A North Shore Fall

The middle of October is what I consider prime photo shooting time in northern Minnesota. Of course I also hear this is a different kind of prime shooting time - grouse hunting season. For some reason, Pat seemed to think the bird hunting part takes precedence over photography. While he was out chasing after birds, I took a little trip up the North Shore.


Although the mass of tourists from the Cities tends to deter me from visiting the park during this time of the year, you can definitely see why Gooseberry Falls is an autumn favorite.


One of the lower falls.


Particularly colorful plants seemed to surround this cute pedestrian bridge in the park.


Perfect pairing of a cute bridge and colorful foliage.


More color at the end of the bridge.


The main panoramic view in the park offering a look at two sets of waterfalls and a beautiful highway bridge is especially bright in autumn.


A view of the upper falls from the catwalk beneath the highway bridge.


This pool at the top of the middle falls always makes me think of those 'infinity' swimming pools. Except cooler.


A trip to the North Shore is just not complete without going to my favorite spot, Split Rock. The lower trail offers the best views of the bay, lighthouse, and island.


You really cannot help but snap photo after photo of the lighthouse from the point you can first glimpse it along the trail. Of course it helps when you are a lighthouse and photo nut, like me.


Lucky for me, the foot traffic on the lower trail was pretty light, so I had the lighthouse view pretty much to myself. Just how I like it.


The wispy clouds are my favorite.


A panoramic view of the bay with those great wispy clouds.


One last glimpse from the lower trail before heading towards the pump house.


Bright colors along the trail.


The park has no lack of birch trees, which conveniently contrast well with autumn colors.


More birch trees.


This view of the lighthouse from below the pump house produced my favorite photo of the day.


I don't know what these bushes are, but they sure were colorful.


One last view of the lighthouse from this basalt bedrock outcrop along the trail prior to driving back before it got too dark.

1 comment:

Christina Smith said...

These pictures are gorgeous! I really miss the "real" fall colors!!