Monday, September 24, 2007

August

In August we were able to steal a weekend away to visit Houghton. We stayed in the Twin Lakes area thanks to the generosity of Dr. Vitton who allowed us the use of his cabin.


A view of the Houghton/Hancock lift bridge from above Mt. Ripley. We strategically positioned the photo to block out the ugly condos built just to the east of the north end of the bridge.


Sara poses next to a few birch trees near the Quincy Mine.

This is a cool photo of the masonry wall from the old Quincy Mine. I thought it was a neat pattern. It was taken in black and white to provide a more uniform image.


Agate Beach. It's been several years since we last visited Agate Beach which is located in south west Houghton county. We hit it just as the sun was dipping below the horizon.

Little foot and Big foot. Guess who's is whose. :)

Sara smiles at the camera in the fading evening light. She doesn't know that I'm contemplating dunking her into the lake.

Another view of Agate Beach in the evening light. Notice the speck of moon visible just above the trees.

A picture of me as I walked towards the shore. Sara thought my blurred image was a nice touch. Maybe she is trying to tell me something.......?

This is a photo I took of the wave lines that are spread across the beach. Again, the camera does not do it justice. This picture was a bit of a disappointment compared to how it looked with the naked eye.

The Vitton cabin located on twin lakes. Stan tells us that this unit along with dozens more just like it use to be used for student housing back when he attended school at tech. I'm not sure how it work as an apartment but it makes a great cabin!

In late August we were invited to go "Wheelin" with Ryan, a friend of mine from work. This is his rig which is 'slightly' modified samauri. He added 40+ inch wheels, a custom chassis and two transmissions. Yes, two. He let me drive it for a stint, what a blast. This picture is of me and another co-worker, adam.

One of the guys we went out with got his Jeep Cherokee stuck in this little mud hole. It took us about 45 minutes to pull it out. It must have had about 400 lb of mud packed beneath the hood by the time we were done.

Ryan brought his brother's golden retriever along with us for the day. She managed to walk into a nearby mud hole and then proceeded to get stuck. She eventually gave up. Here we are during our rescue attempt. The mud was hard on top and the consistency of pudding beneath. I had to crawl out on my stomach to reach her. This picture was taken after I had already dragged her six feet. I think I lost a shoe in their somewhere.


Ryan puts his rig through the paces by doing some rock crawling. His friend Ben guides him over the boulders.

No comments: